EU Project Intercultural Competences for Adult Educators
working with Multicultural and Multilingual Learners
Kick-off meeting in Iasi / Romania
On 21 and 22 November 2019 took place in Iasi, Romania the first (kick-off) meeting of the new Erasmus+ project
Intercultural Competences for Adult Educators working with Multicultural and Multilingual Learners
The main objective of intercultural education lies in preparing people to perceive, accept, respect, & experience alterity. The theme of interculturality has emerged in the last decades as an educational response to phenomena of increasing interconnections. It is known that many conflicts, challenges such as the migration/ refugee crisis, the “Brexit”, the globalization, all these phenomena have a significant impact on the intercultural life spheres of our society, including education in general & adult education in particular. The necessary (but not enough) condition for resolving conflicts is to find efficient communication channels &adequate skills to ease conflicts & tensions.
Educators play a key role in responding to these challenges. However, the current situation is pointing out the existing lack of intercultural communication (ICC) of adult educators, especially considering that most of the practitioners involved in this activity are qualified outside the field of education & therefore lack even the general competences of adult education.
The project aims to strengthen ICC of adult educators working in various formal & non-formal educational settings in order to help them to overcome the challenges arising from their everyday work with multicultural & multilingual learners’ populations.
We expect to raise awareness in:
– Participating target groups – adult educators will be provided with resources & a training programme designed to equip them with competences necessary to deal with intercultural situations in their learner groups in a sensitive & constructive manner.
– Indirect target group – international students, migrants and refugees by supporting them to overcome stressors, like: language barrier, cultural aspects, religious facilities, relationship with family, social support & academic facilities.
– Long term impact – shape positive attitudes toward multiculturalism and cultural diversity in society, services, businesses, companies, hospitals, etc., and acquire possibilities to use project outputs in a wide range of applications.
DIAN participates in this project with:
- Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Grigore T.Popa (UMF) Iasi (Romania)
- Fundatia EuroEd (EuroEd), Iasi (Romania)
- Soros International House (SIH), Vilnius (Lithuania)
- Iniciativas de Futuro para una Europa Social COOP. V. (IFESCOOP), Valencia (Spain)
- PIXEL – Associazione Culturale (Pixel), Florence (Italy)
- A & A Emphasys Interactive Solutions Ltd (EMPHASYS), Nicosia (Cyprus)
For more information you may contact DIAN